Saturday, October 29, 2016

Week nine

This week I worked Wednesday and Thursday nights. In addition to starting my PowerPoint presentation, I started processing a new collection. The collection is from the Castel di Sangro Society. The fraternal society was one of the many ethnic societies in the North Hill section of Akron. It was active from the late 1920s until a few years ago. It was made up of Italian immigrants from Castel di Sangro, Italy.
Everything on this cart is my responsibility
First, I read the department guidelines for processing a collection. I looked everything over to get a general idea of what the collection contains. I also made some notes for the finding guide that I am creating. There are photographs, medallions, orders of service, membership lists, and the founding charter, among other things.
After getting a feel for the collection, I decided to start with the photographs. There was no original order for this collection, so I can group things by type.
One of the founding members
I followed the guidelines for labeling the envelopes and put each photograph in their own envelope. Once everything is sorted and labeled I will enter each item in the collection database.

No comments:

Post a Comment