Thursday, October 27, 2016

Week eight

This week I finished processing and cataloging the rest of the Akron area postcards I have been working on.

Processing and cataloging postcards
First I needed to search the catalog to see if the postcards were exact duplicates of any already in the collection. I found one that was a duplicate and it was put with the matching (and already catalogued) postcard.

I realized that one of the postcards was from Ashtabula, which is outside of Summit County, and thus outside of the scope of the collection. I set that one aside for one of the librarians.

Collections database
After assigning an accession number, I check the postmark for a date. If has a date, I enter that (example: ca. 1908). I enter the collection name, which is photographs. I give the item a title, which is a basic description and then write a more detailed note. I mark the material type and write a short physical description, describe where the item is located, and assign subjects. After that is done, I label the envelope, insert the postcard, and file it in the postcard box.

No comments:

Post a Comment